Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Wind

Monday evening the baby, the wife, and I went outside to put up the halloween cemetery. It was a nice evening in phoenix. The wind was gentle and the air was cool. In other words, it was perfect decorating weather. We put everything up and I was very happy with the new lay-out. We went to bed and tuesday came.

Tuesday was a different story. The morning started out cool and cloudy. At about noon, the wind started to pick up. Normally, I am very confident that Sppoky Acres will not blow away. I have everything staked pretty well in the ground but with this particular wind my confidence was shaken. The wind proved to be a real problem. I was concerned that all my work would blow away. The headstones wiggled nervously in the wind. The rain smacked into the side of the faux mausoleum. Then there was the hail.

Yes, hail. Phoenix is not know for its hail. But we were given the gift of chickpea sized hail that pummled the haunt. I was outside when it started and I was pummeled in the head. To protect myself I had to take the mausoleum from its foundation and use it as an improvised shield. My wife and I both took turns grabbing things to prevent them from flying away.

A little later in the evening there was part 2 of the storm. The hail increased in size to walnuts and the wind was even stronger. By that time, however, most of the decorations had been moved to the back patio. We didn't loose anything, but I will have to re-install the decorations tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment