Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Ghosts of Haunts Past


This is one of the first tombstones that I ever created. It turned out pretty well and I still use it today. I love the skull at the top. I use a similar skull on several other pieces in the haunt.

The inscription, like all the inscriptions that I have used, comes from Disneyland's Haunted Mansion. It is my little homage to the greatest haunt. To carve the inscription I printed out the words and then taped the sheet to the white styrofoam board. Using an Exacto knife I painstakingly carved out each letter. It is all hand done. I do not use a hot wire cutter or anything else. After the carving a coat of black plaint (Lincoln Cottage Black from Valspar) and then a coat of grey spray paint (latex).

I have never really done any weathering to the stones, because I am afraid to do it. If you have any suggestions on how to make the stones "pop" I would love to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment